Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Start of Transfer 3!


Well, well, well... 4 days with my new companion ... and....it is so great!  Her name is Hermana Marquez, she was born in Mexico but has lived in California most of her life. She has been out on her mission for a little over a year. She is a convert for about 3 years now, and the only member in her family. Wow, huh?! She is really awesome, and a super hard worker. I have already learned so much from her. As I was introducing her to everyone at church yesterday everyone told her to tell me she doesn't understand english and only speak spanish with me! Haha so I hope my spanish skills will improve a lot this transfer. So far we haven't spoken a ton of spanish because we actually had to get things done and things happen at about .01 miles an hour when I'm thinking in spanish! Haha but now we kind of know what we are doing together, this week we are going to speak a lot more spanish! It is very different, she is native so she speaks beautiful spanish, but she doesn't know the why behind anything. She just knows it from speaking it with her parents she never studied it in school or anything. So she knows how to say it right but she doesn't really know how to correct me or study with me. So I can learn from talking with her but she can't answer any of my questions...which will probably be good for me so I don't think about things so hard and just do it.
 
It was really funny the first day she was here because she doesn't know the area or the peopl at all...so it was totally up to me what we did. We didn't have any set appointments so I sat looking at our empty planners thinking...HERMANA PRINCE what do I do?!?!?! These past few days have been a really cool experience for me. I prayed harder than I ever have before because I needed to introduce her to this area and take the lead for the first few days. I felt a desire this week to be a missionary the Lord can trust to take care of an area and love the people like He would if he were here. (no pressurehaha). We have made a lot of U turns haha but I would remember a certain street, or feel like we should turn, and then we would be where we needed to be!  
My little miracle this week was the Urrutias. I visited them once briefly my very first week here. They are less active members and haven't come to church the whole time I've been here. But the first night Hna Marquez was here and our only set appointment fell through, she looked at me and said "Where are we going next?"  I kind of freaked out inside, and was racking my brain of every investigator, potential and member, but only their name came to my mind. I wasn't totally sure where they lived or couldn't remember their story exactly and they weren't the usual people we had been visiting. But they were the only people I could think of, which in the moment I was like come on think think why can't I think of anyone! And I was embarrased at first because I had been living here I should be able to think of someone to visit or something to do! But in that moment I couldn't think of anything, only the Urrutias came to mind. I think i learned something about the spirit. It usually just feels like one of my own ideas. I was freaking out because it didn't seem like what we normally did or didn't seem like a grand idea, when really the spirit was telling me what we actually needed to be doing at the moment. We found the house and they were outside, and we were able to talk to them and read with them and invite them to church. And ...they came to church yesterday!  :)
 
We knocked a whole entire street and were only able to talk to 3 people! One of the guys we talked to said, "You should tell people you are Jehovahs witnesses, then people will let you in!" So that's our new tactic. ...what do you guys think?
 
I love you all soooooooooo much!!! Being a missionary is soo cool...everyone should do it!
 
Love Hna Mulliner

No comments:

Post a Comment