Sunday, October 21, 2012

week and a half later...


So Monday all the libraries were closed and none of us missionaries realized that until that day so we couldn't all email at the church in time! Yesterday we had a zone conference with all the missionaries serving in the valley, in was sooo good! And in english...maybe that's why I thought it was soo good because I understood it! haha. so we couldn't email yesterday either, so today is the day.
 
I don't know what to write about today! haha so here is a random selection of what has happened in North Hollywood lately...enjoy:
 
Everyone is taking that "Ask the Missionaries" thing to heart! Right after that session a member offered to take us to lunch. He was talking about that talk and said he wanted to ask us something. He is from Guatemala, and proceeded to tell us the situation he is in and asked us if he should marry this american girl so he can be legal here..haha! I was thinking, um I don't think this is the kind of thing Elder Nielson was talking about!
 
A member told me I was gaining weight, haha I have come to appreciate the bluntness of the latino culture :) So I was freaking out all the way to our next appointment and Hernana Marquez was giving me her mission wisdom and I was trying to think what jillian michaels would do! We show up at our next appointment, which is at 8 p.m. after we have already had dinner and we are just supposed to teach a short lesson to this family, they tell us to come in and sit down. She has made fried tortillas and fried eggs with cheese and served us each a massive plate. Then she grabs my plate before I am even finished and puts more on. Then for dessert we have pan dulce and hot chocolate...ya I was thinking heavenly father you are so funny!
 
So we are working with this member...he is hilarious he calls us "sisters" it sounds like "seesters" so he's always saying "oh gracias seesters, o perfecto seesters, oh si seesters" its pretty priceless. He talks a million miles a minute so that is pretty much what I understand of what he says, then I just giggle to myself until I recognize him say it again. Anyways we are helping him share the gospel with his neighbors, and we are also teaching an hermana's mom. This hermano has a crush on this hermana. They went on a few dates and he was telling her about how marriage is a commandment on the second date and she got freaked out ...etc and that little "ask the missionaries" talk has them both asking us what they should do. haha...
 
We are eating lunch with these 2 elderly members from mexico. The bottled water I had was frozen so I couldn't get water out but I usuallybring one like that because it melts throughout the day. It was a topic of discussion, which I didn't completely get that was going on haha, finally hermano stands up comes over gets my water bottle, gets a knife that was being used to cut the chicken tries cutting the water bottle in half, that doesn't work. So he goes to the bushes near by pulls out a little saw...ya we were all amazed, like the mexican male marry poppins, and starts using this rusty saw to cut my water bottle in half, while his wife is chastizing him in spanish, he keeps going. Finially gets it in half, throws the saw back in the bushes, grabs the knife to cute through the ice, and uses his hands to put the ice in a cup and sets it in front of me. Then the whole rest of the meal he kept saying misionera drink! Haha!
 
I got my second parking ticket since being here!! Haha it is hard to keep track of which streets they sweep which days and what hours...haha
 
My favorite talk was Elder Uchtdorf's talk! I loved everything he said! My favorite was "Life is not to be enjoyed only in retrospect...happiness is available all the time!"  I feel like that is so true. And I just want to keep enjoying being a missionary every day!! Hope you all had a good week! I love you!
 
Love,
Hermana Mulliner

No comments:

Post a Comment